Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Really an Award?

I saw the movie "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" the Saturday that it opened in Atlanta. I typically don't do reviews, because I am afraid I'll give something away. And I also don't feel that I write well enough to do reviews. I think I tweeted that Monique did an amazing job. I almost tweeted that Mariah won't win any awards, but she did ok. However, I decided to be nice. Her role was important, but she didn't have as much screen time as some of the other characters.

But when I saw this article I had to write something. I really do not know much about the award, but if it is for someone new to acting, well Gabby Sidibe should win it. Or if it is only for a new actor in a supporting role then any one of her classmates should get an award. And Paula Patton as Ms. Rains had a more significant role than MC as Mrs. Weiss, and did a good job.

What did MC do that was so amazing? Should she get an award because she didn't wear makeup? Oh maybe because she wore drab clothes? It seems to me whenever someone praises her performance they stop just short of saying she did a Plain Jane so well. The role was definitely more noteworthy than her previous role, but please wait until she does something more signifcant before giving her an award.

4 comments:

Freaky Deaky said...

I haven't seen Precious and I love me some Mimi but I wouldn't pay to see any movie she's in unless she's wearing makeup and preferable naked. To get an award for not wearing makeup is just kind of sad.

Remnants of U said...

Extremely sad, and I think she wore turtlenecks in the movie. LOL! Maybe not but she was definitely covered.

chele said...

Breakthrough performance?? They have got to be kidding. She was okay but she wasn't on the screen long enough to break through anything!

Remnants of U said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one that saw her in the movie & thinks this. :-)