Sunday, October 01, 2006

He doesn't know!

I was going to write a cute little ditty, using the tune to Shaggy's "It wasn't Me"...Yes, I said ditty...But it is after midnight & I have to be up by 6:30, so I will tell the story.

My best friend made that statement to me about my dog, and after an episode on the park on Saturday, I had to call her and tell her she was right. Well, her exact words were "Remnants, he doesn't know he's a dog."

I drove to Piedmont Park in Atlanta, so that we (me & the dog) could find the dog park there. An area, that is fenced in so the dogs can run free. And since my dog is always on a leash or a chain, I thought this would be soo exciting for him. And I would enjoy it too, since I wanted to see him happy...yeah, just like I do for my son.

So we finally went down the right path that leads us to it, and since it was a nice sunny Saturday, there were dogs & owners of all shapes and sizes. We walk in and I see dogs all over the place, so I walk away from the entrance, and take his leash off. Immediately about 3 dogs run up to great him...Well, he sees them and he takes off...the chase is on.

However, I could tell by the look in his eyes...yes, I said the look in his eyes. That he was scared, and not playing "catch me if you can," but trying to get away from these 4 legged creatures that were right on his tail. The faster he ran, the faster they ran, as he would stop and pivot right, so would they, oh a turn to the left, no he didn't lose them that time either. Finally everyone was tired & went their separate ways, he came and stayed right next to me, panting heavily. This is the dog that always runs away so I can chase him to hook the leash on him. So I tried to get him to go drink at the water fountain (it had a big bowl under it) But he would not go near it...Even when the other dogs left it.

I walked casually around, and he stayed right next to me, greeting the humans that we passed. But when another dog would come to sniff him, he was having no parts of it. So, I started talking to another dog owner there,, and we both agreed, that our dogs were probably more comfortable looking for the couch & the TV. So, my dog &I left, and I finally had to pour water out of my bottle for him to drink before we got back to the car. So yes, I was a little thirsty, but since I didn't run anywhere, I decided he needed it more than I did.

And, I will have to break the news to him slowly...Shaggy...You are a dog.

11 comments:

West said...

Awwww. Poor thing.

How big is he?

Remnants of U said...

He is actually about the same size as a cocker spaniel. And the other dogs were about the same size, I think 1 dog in the group was bigger. But he really wasn't even liking it when a smaller dog came up to us either.

Anonymous said...

That is too funny. How'd he take the news?

Freaky Deaky said...

Was he properly socialized as a puppy? I always worried about taking my dog to a dog park because she was always too nice. I don't think most of dogs thought they were dogs either.

West said...

Damned thing ate my comment.

Anyway, I liked that story.

Remnants of U said...

@ Chele...he doesn't believe me. LOL

@ Freaky... No, he hasn't had any formal training or socialization. He has always been such a happy dog...but I guess it is because he was around humans.

Freaky Deaky said...

I thought so. It sounded like he hasn't been around a lot of dogs. He likes people but is nervous around other dogs. The dog park scared the hell out of him. Poor thing.

Remnants of U said...

Yes, so I now I don't know if I should continue to take him, so he will get used to dogs, or not.

Scratchie said...

Well the shock treatment not working...probably try breaking it to him gently :D Poor Shaggy but at some point he is gonna have to face the stark truth.

Freaky Deaky said...

If you want to introduce him to other dogs you should probably do it in a one on one situation. Groups of dogs will freak him out. It's possible that he may never like being around other dogs or it could just take a bit.

Remnants of U said...

@ scratchie - yes sometimes truth hurts

@ freaky - he definitely doesn't like the group thing.