Wednesday, June 09, 2010

The Great Outdoors

The past few weeks the Atlanta area has had a few rabid animal attacks. First this raccoon attack and then 2 fox attacks 1 in Kennesaw , GA & 1 in Tyrone, GA. The fox attacks are in cities that are about 50 miles apart. It makes me a little nervous about being outside. I guess this neighborhood has been around long enough that we haven't displaced any foxes (is that plural for fox?) I guess the biggest "problem" here is the squirrels.

I was laughing at the fact that as I drove through the neighborhood 1 trash day that there was a squirrel on top of someone's trash can eating a slice of pizza. And my trash can was full so it was open about an inch & a squirrel found the dried apricot package that had maybe 2 or 3 pieces left. When I looked out to see what all the noise was he started dragging the package across the yard. He had to tear through the plastic trash bag & then the package he stole was foil lined. So he worked for it. Should I be worried about rabid squirrels? Or just well fed squirrels.

As I type this with the news on my TV they are reporting that in one county rabid raccoons are attacking dogs. Geesh what a summer...mad animals inland & oil covered beaches on the Gulf coast.

1 comment:

Freaky Deaky said...

They did a store here about rabid skunks yesterday a few cities over and they were talking about them on Billy the Exterminator. Makes me want to find a way to get rid of the skunk or skunks that like to spray near my window at least once a week. Ugh.

In general seeing nocturnal creatures during the day is bad and a possible sign of rabies.