Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy Inauguration Day!

I watched the ceremony today with my son that is home visiting from overseas. I do wish I could have been there in DC witnessing the ceremony in person, but I hate cold weather. So being at home with the heat on makes me happy, too. And when I didn't particularly like the view etc. I just changed the channel.

One of the more memorable moments while we watched it was when they mentioned that President Obama (ooh President that sounds soo good) is the Commander in Chief, I turned to my son and asked, "Wow how does it feel to have a black Commander in Chief?" We both smiled & laughed. I also thought about the fact that my father joined the Army when it was still segregated, and wonder what he would have thought if he were alive today. For me today it was exciting & bittersweet to think about those that didn't get to live to see this day.

Any comments about what this day means to you, or your friends & family?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see what he does during his term. Unfortunately, it seems like he'll be playing damage control and trying to put out fires from previous administrations for at least the first year or two. Who knows what the Senate and Congress will look like then.

I was pleasantly surprised that he actually won. Having him as President is a start in righting some of the past wrongs and maybe moving forward.

Remnants of U said...

Yes, he is coming into a MESS. Hopefully, he will have the support he needs no matter what parties are in office.

It will be an interesting next few years.